Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Didn't you know...?

As I think of all that is going in my life, in the SBC and in the world today; there is so much loss and tragedy, God brought to mind a verse of Scripture. I haven't looked up the reference, but I'm sure you will recognize it: "Didn't you know that I must be about my Father's business?"

The story is centered on Mary and Joseph "losing sight of Jesus." When they realize He isn't with them, first, they have to return to where they lost Him. Then they spend several days looking for Him, they are so disconnected, at that point, that they don't even have a good handle on where to look for Him. They finally go back to "His Father's house" and that is where they find Him. They are scared, frazzled, and absolutely beside themselves. They question Him, and He responds with those blessed words. "Didn't you know...?"

I believe that many in our "family," that is, the family of God, have lost Jesus. They find themselves in the same place and condition as Mary and Joseph, all the while, Jesus is in His Father's house, about His Father's business. IF we would find Jesus, I believe we must get back to our Father's business.

Have you seen the news, has the word truly reached you, has it reached me? People are dying! They are leaving this world and entering into eternity. God's Word states very clearly that people leave this world in one of two positions: "in Adam" or "in Christ." Eternity is based on which position that individual person is "in" when they depart from this life with a final breath and are gone. I was there on the night my MaMa experienced that moment in her life. It was one of the most difficult moments I have lived through to this point. But the separation is only temporary. The reason it is temporary is because she was "in Christ" when she left this life and entered the next, and 30 years ago I was placed "in Christ" by the hands of my heavenly Father.

We as individual, churches and a convention need to leave these trivial distractions behind and get back to being "about our Father's business."

Serving Him,
Pastor Mike

No comments: