Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Time

I am just sitting here at my house listening to Christmas music.  I like the sounds and smells of Christmas.  Melissa has been baking some stuff and it's hard to stay out of the kitchen.  I just thought, "What should I say about Christmas?"  That's an interesting question.  How would you answer it?

I would say some general things about Christmas and would say some specific things about Christmas.  The general things would include: its a special time of year (duh), it's a time of family and friends, it's a time of spending (sometimes more than we should to give people things they don't need or want), it's a time of receiving (see previous thought), it's a time of traveling and hurry (I'm listening to Silent Night), it's a time for parties and services.  I wonder how many people see only this part of Christmas or this type of Christmas?

The specific things I would say about Christmas are: it is the time when Christians celebrate the birth of the Messiah, the Savior, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  I would it is the time when Christians have the perfect opportunity to share what Christmas is really all about to a lot of people who would be willing to listen because it's Christmas and they like Christmas too.  (But how many Christians get so caught up in the general things of Christmas that we forget the specific things of Christmas?)  It is a time of celebrating and rejoicing and joy.  It is a time to remember the whole story of Christmas; Jesus wasn't born to be born, he was born to die on the cross for the sin of the world and rise again from the dead providing salvation for all who believe.  It is a time to give gifts to those we love.  If you love Jesus, what will you give him this year?

Enjoy the holiday season and Merry Christmas.
Serving Him,
Mike

No comments: