Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Can you hold your coffee?

My good friend Jason Webb has been down here in Green Cove Springs since Saturday. I invited him down to preach our revival services at HGBC. As I said in my last blog we have known each other for a long time, 13 years. One of the things that I just learned today about Jason is he doesn't have a very high tolerance for caffeine. I learned this when we went to Starbucks this afternoon. I ordered him a Java Chip Frappachino. Needless to say it has just a little caffeine in it. Jason is now "wide eyed and bushy tailed." He is bouncing off the walls. I am afraid he might not sleep very well tonight. Sorry Jason.

Jason is having a reaction to something in his body that is not usually there. He is doing everything he can to get that caffeine out of his system as quickly as possible. He is drinking water, etc... The caffeine is making him "feel" funny.

As I sit laughing at him in my office, I began to see a spiritual application. As Christians there is something that has the potential to come into our bodies that shouldn't be there. That things is labeled by Scripture as sin. When sin comes into the body/life of a Christian it should make him "feel funny on the inside." He should feel so funny that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get rid of what is causing the trouble on the inside of his spirit. What needs to be done is a process of making a 180 degree turn or repenting of his sin. The bible says that repentance gets the sin out. The power of repentance in the life of a Christian is given us through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

The point is we can't "handle our coffee." We can't handle those things on our own power. In fact we are powerless against them. We must live in and with the power of someone who can handle it. "Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world."

Serving Him,
Pastor Mike

1 comment:

Life Changes said...

Hey Mike,

Jason Blessed us each night. with a prepared message he had on his heart, god moved the service with
compassion leading the direction of
bringing people closer, I surely enjoyied meeting your good friend Jason Webb. each night, he would always brag about his wife.. "she is the Apple of my eye, She is my Sweety Pie" Every Night before he preached...What a surprise to see you & jason Leaving out from Starbucks..Thank you for having him for our Fall Revival...

May God Bless
Scotty