Tuesday, June 07, 2011

From my devotions yesterday

I am currently reading One Year: Devotinal Prayer Book II, Living the Life.  It is a devotional book put together by Dr. Johnny Hunt.  Each weeks devotional readings are done by different pastors and friends of Dr. Hunt.  This is the devotional reading from yesterday. (It begins with a prayer, scripture, thoughts and closing prayer)

Dear heavenly Father, give me a heart that seeks after You, a mind that thinks like Christ, and a spirit that deisres to know and follow Your Word.  Empty me of myself, fill me with Your Spirit, and drive the truths of Your Word deep into my heart.  I pray in Jesus' name. Amen

Philippians 2:3-5  Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.

Many great things seem to be going on in the Philippian church, but one issue threatened their strength: division in the body.  Where there is division, there can be no unity.  And when the body of Christ is not in unity, the ministry of Christ is hurt.
Divisiveness is a very real danger to every healthy church. Why? Because self gets in the way. The answer in a word is ego. However, God gives an answer to sinful, human thinking in Philippians, and we can break it down into five brief, clear points.
First, don't be selfish. Unity in the church starts with slaying the giant of selfishness, which is egotism. A personal desire to advance one's self is always destructive and disruptive. Second, don't be conceited. This refers to seeking after personal glory. Third, regard others as more important. Unity is born out of humility. Fourth, don't look out for only your own interests. We are to be passionately involved in the causes of others. Fifth, be genuinely concerned for others.
If the church lives by the standard of conduct God has set for us, we will eliminate competition and divisiveness. God's standard is very high. The only One who ever lived it to perfection was Jesus Christ.  He is our model. Therefore, let us follow Him!

Lord Jesus, help me to be a team player, someone who brings unity and not division. My hearts desire is for people to see You in me, to be salt and light. Fill me with Your compassion for the world's spiritual brokeness. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.
(Written by Rob Zinn)

No comments: