Friday, September 22, 2006

Dr. Eitel's Second White Paper

I read Dr. Eitel's second white paper late last night on Dr. Brad Reynold's blog. You can find my comments and both of Dr. Eitel's white papers on Brad's blog. I would encourage anyone intersted to log on to it and read them both. These are the documents that some disgruntled Southern Baptist are using as a launching point to attack what has happened in the SBC concerning the conservative resurgence and those leaders which initiatied and led the movement of "Back to the Bible" (my definition). www.guardian-ministries.blogspot.com. I pray you find these papers informative and useful. God bless you.

Serving Him,
Mike

I decided to place what I wrote in the comment section of Dr. Brad Reynolds blog in this post. I pray that God will use it to help us as Southern Baptist readjust our focus to where it ought to be.

I am glad to have had the opportunity to read Dr. Eitel's two white papers. I have only been aware of these issues within the SBC since March. I am overwhelmed at the attacks that are being made. It is so very ungodly and anti-Christ. As I finished reading the second paper my thoughts were drawn to the Matthew 28:18-20. This passage of Scripture is known by Christendom as the Great Commission. It is the marching orders from Christ to his disciples (it was given before the church was formed, therefore it is a commission given to every individual christian). There is one central idea in the Great Commission, and that is to make disciples-followers of Christ. This process of discipleship includes but is not limited to evangelism. Jesus said, "Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you..." This command is not only for the US pastor, seminary professor, Sunday School teacher, but it is for the IMB appointed missionairy as well. I know that it is of utmost importance that all IMB missionairies have indepth theological training. With this training they will have the background to know what the BF&M 2000 is actual saying, and be able to discern heresy when they encounter it on the field. It is imperative that we as Southern Baptist keep a clear and undistracted focus on what God has called us to do, both individually and corprately.

2 comments:

David Rogers said...

Mike,

If you have read the comment section on Brad Reynold's blog, you obviously know that I have written a long refutation of Dr. Eitel's "white papers."

However, to group me together with supposed "disgruntled Southern Baptist [who] are using [this] as a launching point to attack what has happened in the SBC concerning the conservative resurgence and those leaders which initiatied and led the movement of "Back to the Bible" is a charge I believe you will find very hard to "make stick."

Pastor Mike said...

David,
I do not believe that I named any names in my statement you are referring to. I did not group you are anyone else, other than the fact that there is a group who, as it appears to me, to be very disgruntled with the events of the CR.

Are you in that group? If you are then I guess that I have taken what you have been saying to coincide with those who are attacking what I would consider to be "core" beliefs of the SBC.

I am not trying to offend you or anyone else; like you, I am only sharing my perspective. And one thing I have learned in ministry is that "a persons perspective is their reality" whether right or wrong. I venture to say that everyone writing on these issues in the SBC believe their perspective is right. In the end, I believe God will demonstrate what is truth.

Serving Him,
Mike